According to many of my clients, and other business owners I’ve spoken to, writing is their nemesis.
They hate it.
If you’re anything like them, you probably hate it too. (Or at least, dislike and avoid it.)
Today, I’m going to teach you to enjoy it. No, really – I am!
Trust me, I’m a writer.
See, if you don’t enjoy writing your copy, chances are that will show. So your readers won’t enjoy reading it. Or they’ll feel uncomfortable.
This goes for anything you write, by the way. It might be your homepage, an email, a letter to your mum, or a business report for your manager.
Make it fun!
So, today’s homework is this: do this five-minute writing exercise. It’s nowt to do with your business, but it will show you that you can write. Like a demon, in fact.
You can do this on paper if you’re old-school or a laptop if your handwriting looks like spiders on meth.
- Get a timer, set it for five minutes, and get comfortable at your desk. Put the timer out of sight.
- Choose three random words. For the purpose of this exercise we’re going to use blue-tit, hat and umbrella. You can choose words relating to your business when you do this exercise ‘for real’.
- There are two rules about these words:
- The first word of the first sentence must be any one of those three words.
- The other two words must appear somewhere in the first sentence.
- Now read the three words again and make sure you understand the two rules.
- Set the timer going and start typing. The rules for writing are:
- You write as fast as you can, putting down everything in your head that follows on from your initial sentence. See where your mind takes you.
- You do not edit, evaluate, or judge. You just write.
- You write from the moment you set the timer going and you don’t stop until the timer goes off. That’s why you put it where you can’t see it.
- When the timer goes off, you stop writing.
- Go back and read what you’ve written. You may now also edit it.
You will be amazed at the quality of what you’ve just written. Honestly. I know you’re sceptical now, but give it a go.
You’ll need to edit it, sure… but 80% of the good stuff is already there. And it only took you five minutes! How great is that?
Congratulations – you can write!
If you are a business owner and you are serious about taking your business to the next level this is a must read book.
Vicky Fraser is a copywriter, author, and entrepreneur. She really did run away with the circus… but when she’s not swinging from a trapeze, she’s showing other copywriters and small business owners how to work with better clients, make more money, and stop missing bathtimes, first words, and dinners with angry partners. In fact, she wrote the book on it. Get your copy here.